[mythtv-users] MythNetvision grabbers needing update

Michael A Weber mweberjunk01 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 21:03:54 UTC 2013

On Mar 13, 2013, at 9:31 AM, Robert Siebert wrote:

> Am 2013-03-13 14:44, schrieb Dan Wilga:
>
>> After trying (and failing) to use MythNetvision some time ago, I decided
>> to try again last night. Here's what I found, after much digging and
>> debugging:
>>
>> - thewb.py works fine.
>> - comedycentral.py fails, due to 404s. I assume the search mechanism and
>> RSS feed locations have moved within the site.
>> - mtv.py fails, but silently. If you view the XML returned by their API,
>> it says the API being used has been deprecated.
>> - pbs.py complains that there are "No Xslt results" for a whole bunch of
>> URLs, even though these URLs do return feeds. Perhaps the script is
>> using the wrong DTD or something.
>> - hulu.py fails, also due to 404s.
>>
>> I have searched trac and master on git, but nobody seems to be working
>> on this plugin. I can't believe nobody has noticed these problems
>> before, though. Did I just miss something, or should I try to fix the
>> scripts myself?
> It would be best if you do the changes and create a ticket in trac. For my opinion it would also be best to create a pull request in github so the change can be applied from there.
>
> It looks like the mythtv development is stalling, the devs numbers are shrinking and the remaining ones are very busy. They are purely concentrating on the tv and recording functionality. no plugin has been updated in a while.
>
> And unfortunately the devs don't apply many useful tickets or pull requests from github like xbmc does. Not even a simple two-liner patch. This really reduces the motivation to contribute. Even useful mythmusic changes are not cherry-picked from pauls repository. Sorry for being so naggy, I had to say this.
>
> best regards
>
> Robert S

I would like to assist with some of these as I've been trying to get Hulu/Hulu Plus working, but even though I'm a coder, I am not familiar with all the bits and pieces required for this.  Is there any place either of you can recommend where I can get a primer or kick-start so I can experiment and play with these things and learn, and then contribute?

I also would love a way to get the built-in MythTV browser to work with Hulu Plus as well, but that seems near impossible since the videos are Flash videos.  Thoughts?

Mike