[mythtv-users] Soundgraph VFD borked after upgrading Ubuntu

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Wed Mar 13 22:16:07 UTC 2013

On 13-3-2013 13:25, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> On 13 March 2013 11:44, Jos Hoekstra <joshoekstra at gmx.net
> <mailto:joshoekstra at gmx.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 12-3-2013 23:40, Karl Newman wrote:
>>     On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Jos Hoekstra
>>     <joshoekstra at gmx.net <mailto:joshoekstra at gmx.net>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 12-3-2013 4:49, Karl Newman wrote:
>>>         On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Jos Hoekstra
>>>         <joshoekstra at gmx.net <mailto:joshoekstra at gmx.net>> wrote:
>>>
>>>             Hi all, recently I decided to upgrade my frontend with
>>>             and SSD to speed up bootup and silence it a bit more.
>>>             After this update something changed in I guess the
>>>             kernel since after that I get symptoms which look like
>>>             the up-arrow is constantly pressed on a keyboard. I was
>>>             able to determine it was the VFD that's causing these
>>>             symptoms, however I don't know how to get rid of it.
>>>             When I boot back in the old system which was Ubuntu
>>>             12.04 with kernel 3.2.something  everything is ok.
>>>             I cannot get that kernel installed in Ubuntu 12.10 and
>>>             everything that's 3.4 or higher seems to cause these
>>>             problems.
>>>
>>>             Did anyone with this VFD experience the same problems?
>>>             If so, how did you get them solved?
>>>
>>>             Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>>             Jos
>>>

>>>         I don't know which SoundGraph model you have, and
>>>         unfortunately there are several different models, some of
>>>         which share the same USB ID (15c2:ffdc), but the driver uses
>>>         different, incompatible methods for driving the different
>>>         displays. There is a module called 'imon' (kernel config
>>>         symbol ir_imon) which has a parameter called display_type
>>>         which I had to set to 1 in order for the VFD to work. The
>>>         default autodetect (0) didn't work for me. Check your
>>>         distribution documentation for how to configure module
>>>         parameters.
>>>
>>>         Karl
>>>
>>         I got the one in the silverstone LC16M(15c2:0036) and it
>>         seems I'm not the only one experiencing these problems.
>>         https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1086120
>>         It's actually kernel 2.6.32 that works ok all later seem to
>>         screw this up.
>>         Changing the setting via module parameters doesn't help with
>>         the issue which also occurs on other linux(fedora 18) with a
>>         recent kernel.
>>         I wonder why there seem to be so little users with problems....
>>
>>         Jos
>>

>>     Mine came with a Silverstone LC11M, and is the above mentioned
>>     15c2:ffdc model and it's still working fine with the imon module
>>     in 3.7.10 (although its IR receiver died several years ago so now
>>     it's just a display). Did you try it with a generic kernel, or
>>     only with a Fedora-specific kernel?
>>
>>     I found this post from Jarod Wilson, who did a lot of the work to
>>     merge the lirc code into the kernel:
>>     http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95 Maybe it will give you some ideas
>>     about where to look or what to try next.
>>
>>     Karl
>     I set it up on ubuntu and only tried a Fedora livedisk to rule out
> [...]

Nope, tried and verified these and still get the continuous UP-arrow
like this:
^[[AMar 12 15:44:03 frontend kernel: [ 1580.767462] intf1 decoded
packet: 00 00 00 00 12 00 01 ee

Guess I'll try to slap an older kernel in it or just downgrade the whole
thing again, couldn't grab the packagefiles from the old disk...

Thanks,

Jos