[mythtv-users] Frontend blocked two minutes due to sendProfile.py?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Thu Mar 14 06:16:35 UTC 2013

On 3/14/2013 1:13 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 03/13/2013 11:57 PM, faginbagin wrote:
>> Tonight when I turned on my frontend only machine, I got the MythCenter-wide background, but no menu. After some investigation and confirming that an update to the latest available version from the mythbuntu PPA didn't change the behavior, I found the root cause was that mythfrontend is blocked for two minutes waiting for this command to complete:
>> /usr/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py --submitOnly -a
>
> You're the 2nd person tonight with the problem. I reset the timestamp
> on my backend and duplicated the problem too. The update is done every
> 30 days, just in case folks don't know.
>
> So, my short term workaround was to fake the timestamp on
> the command line as in:
>
>       mythfrontend -O HardwareProfileLastUpdated='2013-03-13T00:00:00Z'
>
> Obviously I'm making the assumption that the problem on
> alcor.mythtv.org will get fixed.

Hi Bill,

I get the digest, so I hadn't seen the other reports.

Many thanks for answering my first and third questions.

For anyone who's looking for a non-command-line solution, I was able to accomplish the same workaround as Bill via mythweb -> Settings, changing to the hostname of the problem frontend, then changing the value of HardwareProfileLastUpdated to a date in the past but less than 30 days from today.

I'd still very much like an answer to my second question:

Why does the frontend have to wait for sendProfile.py to complete before I can interact with it?

And to expand on the question: Why can't the frontend just fork the process and be on it's way? There's no message displayed either explaining what we're waiting for or what the results are, good or (in this case) bad.

Thanks,
Helen