[mythtv-users] MythNetvision grabbers needing update

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Thu Mar 14 20:57:44 UTC 2013

On 3/13/13 8:52 PM, Michael A Weber wrote:
> I've been to those wiki pages multiple times… and I've also been
> digging into the scripts. I guess I wasn't clear in what I was asking.
> Basically, I can find the scripts and all, but I don't understand the
> technology behind them. I know they are Python scripts… but if I
> google and teach myself Python, is that all I will need to know to
> understand what is being done? Or, are there any other sources that
> will briefly explain what is going on with each grabbed location?
Doubtful. You might find something else in the git log, but I doubt it
will be of much help. This is just one of the joys of debugging somebody
else's code.

The important places to look are the scripts, themselves, and the config
files that each one uses. It's a combination of the two.
> Specifically, if there is XML returned from one of them that reports a
> deprecated interface is being used, how does one learn about that
> interface?
About all you can do is Google it. In the case of MTV, I looked for "mtv
search api" and came up with this strong contender:

http://www.programmableweb.com/api/mtv

I didn't have time to figure out if that's the dead protocol or not, though.