[mythtv-users] .25 mythtranscode copy over in .26 failing after upgrade

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 19:24:46 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Rich Freeman
<r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
,,,,
>>  You can get a 2TB for $70 - $100
>> (such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834 for
>> $90 after promo code) or a 3TB HDD for ~ $110 - $130 (such as
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-136-874 for $120), to
>> either double or triple your current storage.
>
> Well, unless I start getting creative with SATA interface cards or NAS
> adding a 2TB drive will only get me 1TB of actual storage since I'll
> have to remove a 1TB drive to do it.  I'd prefer to wait until
> technology marches along and capacities increase.

4TB drives are showing up at around $200 each at the usual locations.
Not quite as good a $/GB pricing as the 3TB drives, but that is the current
premium for the larger capacity.  Predicting future pricing is notoriously
hard, so pick your favorite random number for when you might see a 4TB
drive at pre-flood $/GB pricing (especially now that there is a dearth of
competition driving prices downward).  I would not be surprised to see 5TB
drives to be available RSN for certain markets (5 1TB platters), but those
are likely to be targeted to specific content providers.  2TB platters have
been demonstrated (not on a real drive), but will probably not be seen in
the wild for quite some time (in Internet years).

Gary