[mythtv-users] .25 mythtranscode copy over in .26 failing after upgrade

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 19:42:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Rich Freeman
<r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> A RAID need not cost hundreds of dollars, unless you're storing a huge
> volume of data, and then the cost is inevitable.  The differential
> cost of RAID is one extra drive, or maybe two

As drive capacities go up, you really need to look at two if you,
as you say, care about your data (well, if you really care about
your data you run zfs(*) on an appropriately configured system, but
let us not go there right now).  While a bit dated now, there were
some good documents about the likely hood of not being able
to reconstruct a raid5 array especially as the capacity (and
therefore the time to reconstruct) went up.  There are mitigations
(always be running background scrubs, disk patrol, etc.) but as
with all else, your mileage will vary.

> Especially on Linux
> which has good software RAID5 (I'd trust that before I'd trust a RAID
> card that might be hard to replace in the future).

It depends on the raid card.  Some of the higher end cards are
quite good, have battery backup, and have strong upward (import)
compatibility for existing arrays from their previous product line,
so you just need to purchase the same or newer card if needed.
On the other hand, those cards can cost (retail) more than the
cost of numerous extra drives (look at the high end lsi and areca
cards).

Gary

(*) btrfs is looking good, and is progressing rapidly, but it
is just not all there just yet.