[mythtv-users] Calling external program/shut off LIRC reading

Angela angela.schmid at wolke7.net
Sun Mar 17 10:40:16 UTC 2013

I am using MythTV for recordings and watching movies. However using livetv
does not work for me, some channels can be recorded but not viewed with
livetv, also changing channels is very slow or even unstable. This has been
discussed numerous times on the list.

I would like to run dvr for livetv in parallel to mythtv. Dvr has the
possibility to de/activate the frontend by sending a command to its bus, it
disables/enables the frontend and stops/starts reading lirc.
The yaVDR Distro shows how to do this in conjunction with xbmc, which I
would like to use for their many gadgets.

I could use irexec to toggle through the programs, by killing mythfrontend,
but wanted to know if there are other options.

Has mythtv frontend the possibility to start a script/program and stay in
the background, not reading lirc, till the program finishes  ?
Is it possible to add a menu point in mythtv or even better add a jump
button ? Examples welcome.

Thanks
Angela