[mythtv-users] how to reinstall from scratch without losing existing recordings?

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 18 03:47:01 UTC 2013

Just to clarify: I am not attempting to UPGRADE mysql---it was already the
latest version when it broke. I am just trying to get it back running.
Since this is failing (as described in thread "How to repair mysql?"), I
imagine I'll eventually have to reinstall the whole system from a
distribution disk. In that case, will the following strategy work?

- completely install mythbuntu from the distribution cd
- upgrade with the latest online updates
- shut down mythtv and mysql
- restore the recording files to where they used to be
- overwrite the mythconverg files with my old saved ones
- reboot
- (ok, and do a backup when it all works)

There is no upgrade of mysql involved. The versions will be the same before
and after.