[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: calibrating a Vizio

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Tue Mar 19 16:23:53 UTC 2013

On 03/18/2013 01:05 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I just picked up a new HDTV over the weekend from Costco (Vizio M550SL).  I wanted to set the picture settings to the ideal settings.  Has anyone calibrated one of these or found settings they like that they can share?  I am not planning on changing any of the nVidia settings (using a 430) but willing to do so if anyone has had good success creating a better picture that way.
>
> Thanks!
> <http://www.costco.com/VIZIO-55%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-LED-Edge-Lit-LCD-HDTV-M550SL.product.11761162.html>

I don't have that Vizio, but I'm happy with the results calibrating my HDTVs (both 1080p and 720p) with the collection of MP4 video clips described here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

The clips are a 22 GB download and take up about that much space when extracted. They play well with the mythtv internal player in 0.23, when extracted into my video library. I haven't tried them in newer versions of myth. The download also contains some .png files that don't show up in the the video library. I used xine to display these full screen.

Be sure to download Patterns-Manual.pdf so you know how to use them.

I've only use the basic and misc test patterns. The other series of tests are meant to be used with hardware I don't have (and didn't feel the need to invest in) to more precisely calibrate color.

HTH,
Helen