[mythtv-users] getting lircd/udp to work

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Mar 20 00:42:31 UTC 2013

I am running Fedora 18 on a dual-core Pentium 4 (i386 distro) if this
matters.

The problem is that the UDP driver does not seem to work. I have
followed the instructions at

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hdhomerun#Setting_up_IR_Forwarding

The HDHomerun does appear to be sending packets to port 5000 on the
target system, as confirmed by tcpdump.

If I start "lircd -H udp -d 5000" on the target system as instructed, it
appears to start, but it is not actually listening on the network. I
tried both the Fedora packaged version and compiling from source
downloaded from lirc.org, and the symptoms are the same. "netstat" and
"lsof" confirm that it is running, but not listening on any network
port. If I use "strace" to start it, it appears that neither the main
process nor the child it forks ever even TRY to open a network
connection. If I do "lircd --driver=?", it does report "udp" in the list
of drivers. There are no errors logged.

Anybody seen this and have a workaround? Is there some other version of
lircd that I should be using?

Thanks,
--Greg