[mythtv-users] getting lircd/udp to work

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Mar 20 14:14:12 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-20 at 07:59 -0500, jzigpublic wrote:

> On 3/19/2013 7:42 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
>
> > I am running Fedora 18 on a dual-core Pentium 4 (i386 distro) if this
> > matters.
> >
> > The problem is that the UDP driver does not seem to work. I have
> > followed the instructions at
> >
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hdhomerun#Setting_up_IR_Forwarding
> >
> > The HDHomerun does appear to be sending packets to port 5000 on the
> > target system, as confirmed by tcpdump.
> >
> > If I start "lircd -H udp -d 5000" on the target system as instructed, it
> > appears to start, but it is not actually listening on the network.

> Just to confirm that the HDHR is still sending packets you can try
> this:
> At the console as root with lirc not running start mode2 with this
> command:
> mode2 -H udp -d 5000

Thanks for the tip on mode2. At first this did not work. Then I took a
more careful look at the tcpdump output and realized that the 5000 I was
seeing was the source port on the HDHR. It was sending packets to port
4500 on the target system (lord knows what I was thinking when I set
this up). So I corrected the port number, and now mode2 does see the
button presses. So I fired up "lircd -H udp -d 5000", and now I can run
"irw" and see the button presses. But: lsof and netstat still do not
show lircd listening on port 5000! I am guessing that some in-kernel
driver is grabbing the packets and forwarding them internally to the
lircd process. I can't think of any other way that the packets could be
getting to lircd when lircd is not actually listening on the network.

Progress! Now I  have to figure out how to connect the button presses to
the frontend, but at least I am partway there. Thanks for the help.

--Greg