[mythtv-users] Toggling compositing

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 20:40:20 UTC 2013

On 25/03/2013 7:02 AM, "Chris" <gcsa60 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> When I setup my MythTV frontend I was having some trouble with
tearing.
>>> I originally had the video playback profile set at Normal and I read
>>> somewhere that what I really wanted was VDPAU so I started messing
>>> around with the settings but couldn't get it to work at first. (For the
>>> record the GPU is GeForce 8200/integrated/SSE2 and the CPU is AMD
>>> Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e × 2). The MythTV Official Wiki had
>>> a few suggestions one being to place the following in my
/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

>>>    Section "Extensions"
>>>         Option "Composite" "Disable"
>>>     EndSection
>>>
>>> I think this was already in my xorg.conf  because it's there now and I
>>> don't remember putting it in (but that's another story).
>>>
>>> The problem is, I have recently downloaded the Netflix app onto my
>>> computer and it wants compositing enabled.  So I looked for solutions
>>> and I found that I have a package on my computer called
>>> plasma-widget-toggle-compositing which looks like it might do the
>>> trick.  My question is:
>>>
>>> If I enable this widget is it going to screw-up Mythtv somehow
(Synaptic
>>> Package Manager suggests it is linked to file associated with Mythtv)?
>>>
>>> My guess is no; but, I have had so much trouble getting this thing to
>>> work and wasted so much time fixing mistakes that I really want to
avoid
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Other possibly relevant information is that I'm using Mythtv 0.26 run
on
>>> Ubuntu 12.04.
>>>
>>> Thank you once again for your help and guidance.
>>> Chris
>>>
>> Lots of people have problems with tearing so I don't think the solutions
>> are so obvious..
>> I assume you are using unity desktop (compiz plugin).
>> I have never had to disable composite (disables effects managers) on old
>> lucid gnome 2 or 12.04 with unity/fallback/consort/kde/etc..
>>
>> To get the best performance (mythtv & vdpau) you need vdapau to use
>> video overlay (guarantees no tearing) & that requires
>> composite/re-direction to be blocked.
>> You can use "ccsm" to tweak a couple of compiz/unity settings:
>> - enable un-redirect full screen
>> - enable legacy full screen support
>> Be very cautious with this tweak tool, unity seems not completely
>> compatible with compiz setting tool.
>> Of course this only works with mythtv in full screen mode.
>>
>> Another possible problem is the incorrect refresh rate reported by
>> nVidia driver (when using twinview metamodes).
>> If using twinview you may need to manually set the composite refresh
>> rate (no auto detect).
>> AFAIK Later nVidia drivers have solved the incorrect refresh reporting.
>>
>> I don't know about the plasma-widget-toggle...
>>
>> Brett

> Thanks Brett,
>
> When I first read your e-mail I thought you had misunderstood the issue
but on reading it again I get the impression that your telling me that I
can take take the  "Option "Composite" "Disable"" command out of my
/etc/x11/Xorg.conf.   Is that correct?

> If you are suggesting I take it out, do I just change it to the below or
just delete all three lines from the file?

>    Section "Extensions"
>         Option "Composite" "Enable"
>     EndSection
>
> Currently I have Mythtv running under VDPAU slim (still stutters horribly
under VDPAU normal or high quality) and I am very happy with the picture
quality .  I was trying everything under the Myth Official Wiki but the
last thing I did was add the line below to my /etc/X11/Xorg.conf  and it
seemed to do the trick.

>    Option         "TripleBuffer" "True"
>
> I actually considered taking the Composite Disable command out of my
Xorg.conf file but because I didn't remember adding it in the first place
(and I might have because I have been tweaking like a madman since boxing
day (the day I entered the world of linux and mythtv)), I was worried that
it was necessary for the operating system (of course I don't really
understand what compositing is).

> Thanks again
> Chris

There is a setting, tick box, somewhere in the frontend to separate mythtv
screen from the desktop. Do you have it ticked?