[mythtv-users] mythbackend -v level for scheduler listing?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 26 12:43:13 UTC 2013

On 03/25/2013 10:17 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 03/24/2013 12:38 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>> I remember at one point there was a -v logging level that would print
>>> the scheduler listing to the log every so often. Was this ever true,
>>> and is this still available as an option? "schedule" doesn't seem to
>>> do it.
>>
>> Are you sure you don't want to just use:
>>
>> mythbackend --printsched
>>
>> when you actually need to see the current schedule information, rather than
>> constantly run with excessively verbose logging enabled and contributing to
>> I/O requirements and resulting in your having to parse through tons of
>> logging noise to find any useful or important errors/messages?  Or are you
>> actually having an issue that you're trying to debug?  (By this I'm simply
>> suggesting that running a "production" MythTV box at anything other than
>> default verbosity is probably a very bad idea for many reasons.)
> some random programs that are in the schedule to be recorded one day
> don't seem to be recording. when I check the logs around the time when
> that recording should take place absolutely nothing is shown in the
> log for that show. I'm trying to see if something along the way
> between checking the schedule and he time for recording is causing the
> scheduler to decide to skip that recording.

To find out why a program didn't record, you should look at the Manage
Recordings|Previously Recorded screen in mythfrontend within 10 days of
the airdate, find the episode, and see what it says happened.

> I understand having a higher level of verbosity is taxing to the
> system, so the hope would be to not have to run it like this for long.

OK, yeah, just making sure that you weren't planning to enable it for
normal usage.  It seems we have a lot of users who run with overly
verbose logging "just in case" they have problems--and, in some cases,
the additional resource requirements actually cause the problems.  (Kind
of like when we had a ton of people running Nagios/Monit/whatever to
make sure their backend was running and the monitoring application was
hammering the backend's status page so hard it caused problems, which
lead to the backend's dying.)

That said, first check your Previously Recorded to see what MythTV says
happened.

Mike