[mythtv-users] MythTV with MariaDB

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 16:33:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would agree with the principal, but I also accept that with the
> (lousy) defaults of most distros default MySQL configuration, the
> out of the box experience that MythTV provides can be atrocious.
> And since that out of the box experience may be the only chance
> one has to decide to use the app or move on, those defaults
> matter.
>
> Gary

I have two questions (or maybe sets of questions?) based on this
discussion thread so far.

1) What distro(s) are switching to MariaDB and with what release(s)
(release date/release number) -- in other words am I about to get
pushed over a waterfall and don't even know it yet -- the other half
has been hinting that my hearing isn't what it used to be, so that
might explain not hearing the roar of the water ;-)

2) With regards to the excerpt from Gary's earlier contribution, I
currently (still!) run the original release of mythbuntu 10.04 with
(AFAIK) no updates, although I am trying mightily to make the time
this week to get in position to migrate to mythbuntu 12.04 and try to
get on the update train this time ;-)  I would be most interested
(maybe another thread?) in hearing what tuning changes might be
beneficial vs. the settings established in the vanilla distro.  It
would be enlightening if there was discussion about the
benefits/tradeoffs of the changes as well, not just "make these
settings".  I'm always open to learning new things -- thanks to MythTV
I finally got off the sidelines and learned how to migrate my work
experience with SunOS and Solaris to FC6, CentOS, FC 11, mythbuntu,
and Ubuntu/Kubuntu (not all at the same time, thank goodness!).

Craig.