[mythtv-users] MythTV with MariaDB

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Wed Mar 27 16:19:48 UTC 2013

On 27.03.2013 16:57, George Nassas wrote:
> On 2013-03-27, at 7:19 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Well, once we have an embedded DB, you won't "use" MySQL
>
> I think the point was why waste machine resources on a duplicate implementation of the rows and columns paradigm?

Is it a waste? Currently the availability of peoples time appears to be
more limiting then machine resources. By removing the SQL part from the
API we save that scarce resource.

I'd love to see a move to SQLite or similar, but that has been
evaluated and appears to involved real work => not going to happen soon.

> One answer might be that myth is dependant on some arcane feature of mysql and that's fair enough.
>
> As a curious question I might also ask if there's going to be a disruptive change why not move to being db-neutral rather than hiding things.

What would being db-neutral be good for? I'm not aware of a good return
for the investment of maintaining it.

Regards,
Karl

PS: PostgreSQL is great. I'd love to have ACID for our DDL so database
upgrades either fail or work, but never leave you with a broken
database.