[mythtv-users] MythTV with MariaDB

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 16:39:23 UTC 2013

please excuse brevity and pistakes as this email was composed on a mobile
phone.

regards,
Richard Morton
On 27 Mar 2013 15:57, "George Nassas" <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:

> On 2013-03-27, at 7:19 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
> > Well, once we have an embedded DB, you won't "use" MySQL
>
> I think the point was why waste machine resources on a duplicate
implementation of the rows and columns paradigm?

> One answer might be that myth is dependant on some arcane feature of
mysql and that's fair enough.

> As a curious question I might also ask if there's going to be a
disruptive change why not move to being db-neutral rather than hiding
things.

Unfortunately being DBMS neutral is very hard. Each vendor interrupters the
SQL standard differently karting to different implementations syntax's and
query results.

Some would say this is intentional to cause vendor lock in...

At the moment myth TV rewrites front end devices to connect view a
proprietary protocol, an rdbms connection and sometimes via web services
and until .24(?) NFS as well.

I would prefer clients to have a single data retrieval method while
prevented from making changes to the db which doesn't provide data
integrity.

There are many methods for doing this.. The current fashionable choice
would be a middle tier of software that is the only thing that connects to
the data base and exposes web services for clients to use.

Rich