[mythtv-users] Unreliable PCTV 290e DVB-T2 NanoStick

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Mar 28 17:02:13 UTC 2013

On 28/03/2013 14:02, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> After a year ago installing one of these in someone else's
> system, and seeing it work seemingly faultlessly, I've just
> bought one for myself, but I am running into problems with it.
> After an eventual successful tune, I tested all the HD channels
> and all worked (I think - maybe not BBC One HD), but then they
> stopped working and wouldn't lock, often showing (_LMs)
> other times (_L__). Rebooting so far doesn't seem to have fixed
> it.
>
> Tuning was unreliable too. The first attempt missed some channels.
> Second found none, although I'd deleted what it had already found.
> After a reboot, I seemed to get the lot.
>
> The perfectly-working system is in a bad reception area and
> I'm fairly close to the transmitter, so I wondered whether
> I was over-driving the stick. I tried inserting a 12db
> attenuator. That brought the signal strength down to 67%, but
> didn't help with the problem.
>
> My kernel is 3.4.33 and I'm running MythTV 0.26 fixes.
> The working system has kernel 3.1.10 and is running 0.25.
>
> Hope someone can help. I really hope Pinnacle haven't changed
> chips or something evil like that.

"Unreliable" was perhaps a bit hopeful. That first success
watching the HD channels was the only one. Haven't since
managed a lock on any channel, even though I've powered off
and rebooted many times. I wonder whether I imagined the
initial success: perhaps I was actually tuned through my
Nova S2 HD card. Anyway now, I can tune the channels, but
I can't watch them.

P.