[mythtv-users] Unreliable PCTV 290e DVB-T2 NanoStick

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Mar 29 10:40:38 UTC 2013

Paul Gardiner wrote:
>I'm now suspicious that I am over-driving it. I'm still seeing
>100% signal strength on some frequencies, even with a 12db
>attenuator in line. I have a second one on order so perhaps
>that will sort out the problem.

It's not impossible.
A couple of years ago I bought a new aerial, according to Wolfbane, we need a high gain amplified aerial - although we have a near enough clear line of sight to Winter Hill which I think is around 40 miles as the crow flies. Anyway, having had problems with poor signal before, I decided to go with the highest gain, grouped aerial I could find - on the basis that it's better to have too much signal and have to reduce it than to have too little. The Panasonic PVR downstairs struggled with the signal - and was happier with at least half setting on the variable (up to 22dB) attenuator I bought at the same time as the aerial. It was still quite happy with the full 22dB - so I think we have "adequate" signal :) I think I left it with a 12dB fixed attenuator fitted.

The HVR1300 cards I have in my backend only have the attenuation from splitting the signal and seem quite happy.

Be interesting to see what happens when 4G comes along - we have channels that are ripe for interference, and in fact we have yet another retune next month as two muxes move to make way.