[mythtv-users] Problems with automatic shutdown/restart

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Fri Mar 29 23:36:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-29 at 21:32 +0100, Yann Lehmann wrote:
> Hi
>
> My system (combined backend/frontend) is running MythTV 0.25 from the
> Mythbuntu repos.
>
> I have set it up to shutdown when idle and restart when it has something
> to record, following the instructions on the wiki (ACPI Wakeup and
> Mythwelcome).
>
> Unfortunately, the system reboots instead of shutting down.
>
> This happened with Ubuntu 10.04, but is still there on 12.04 (fresh
> install).
>
> It seems I am not alone with this problem, but I have not found a
> solution yet.
>
> If I shutdown the system on the command line ('shutdown -P now'), it
> shuts down. The same command in the settings of Mythwelcome doesn't work
> (reboot).
>
> When trying to shutdown with 'mythshutdown --shutdown', the system
> displays a message that it will reboot, and so it does.
>

> Thank you for any help
>
> Regards
> Yann

Works very well here for years (now on 10.04 & 0.26+fixes).

Problem could be:
- "setwakeup.sh" is not running
- BE user req. exe/scripts not in sudoers file.
- not using the required time format
- bios RTC is ignoring the alarm setting

The wikis mention some bios (old?) required the bios manually set alarm
to be disabled.

Do your BE log file(s) show:
- BE idle & ready to shutdown
- BE runs "setwakeup.sh" ?

Mine runs...
Command to set wakeup time:
   sudo sh -c "/usr/bin/setwakeup.sh $time"
wake time format:
   time_t

The sudoers list must include BE user & list the requires executables
(inc scripts) like /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh etc..