[mythtv-users] Lossless Cut bug reports

Doug Vaughan r.d.vaughan at rogers.com
Sat Mar 30 13:53:54 UTC 2013

Martin,
     Even though I do not have time right now I am replying so you know
I read your email and will get back to you. One question I would like
answered is whether any video players other than VLC have the problems
you describe during playback? I use a HDPVR as a recording device and
can successfully playback with MythTV internal player, Totem on the
Linux desktop, DicePlayer, MXPlayer, XBMC on Android and XBMC plus the
Windows Media player on Win8.  All play the Lossless Cut mkv files
without any of the issues you describe. I never tested with VLC.

     If a number of video players all have the same issue as VLC then
the problems most likely is the combination of the video files produced
by your recording device and the current limitations of the mkvmerge
utility which cuts and assembles the mkv videos. Others have found for
instance that mkvmerge cannot consistently process recordings generated
by a HDHomerun.

The bug you found with the reporting script is on my to-do list and is
indeed due to not handling the lack of skip or cutlist. As for the
missing log file, that is not a bug. What it refers to is that the
script automatically looks for a Lossless Cut log left over from an
aborted script userjob. That is a different log than what the reporting
script creates. The message is just there for information purposes. The
default is for a Lossless Cut userjob that completes successfully to be
automatically deleted therefore it would be "missing".

The Samba related issue is not my issue. I believe two problems are in
play. Invalid characters in the file names according to Windows file
name conventions, the colon in your example. Also I think that your
shares may be defined with a lack of utf8 support although my knowledge
is very hazy on that subject (iocharset=utf8 as a parameter in the mount
command?). I have the same issue with my Win8 and Android CIFS shares.
Resolving that is I also on my lengthy to-do list.

I'll be back.

Doug