[mythtv-users] upgrading from .25 to .26

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri May 10 15:58:29 UTC 2013

On 10/05/13 16:34, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/10/2013 11:05 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> On 10/05/13 14:56, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Bill and Rich.  Looks good.  I like the addition of the ssh -Y,
>>> too--many users don't know how to upgrade a headless backend.
>>>
>> A tip. I discovered, when I migrated from Mandriva to Debian, that ssh -Y
>> didn't work, because the .xauth credentials weren't being carried over
>> properly when you su'd on the target box.
>>
>> The way round this is to use sux (yes, really) instead of su. This sometimes
>> complains but allows full use of X tunneling. sux is available from apt.
>>

> I usually do:  ssh -l mythtv -Y <hostname> mythtv-setup
>
> Do most distros disable login for the mythtv user or would that work?

I tend to log in as myself and then use sux because I'll do other housekeeping -
which requires root - before I tackle the mythtv-specific stuff (Updates, log
checks, disk usage, etc).

But you're right, your method would probably work. On all my systems I set up
mythtv as a standard user /before/ I install any of the packages. That way I
don't end up with a random, system-generated uid/gid which will be different on
every host.

--

Mike Perkins