[mythtv-users] Unlocking Technologies Act

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat May 11 01:53:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>      So then cable card decryption becomes legal and commonplace along side
> all of the other forms of decryption that are already quite common but are
> now only spoken of in whispers. The current blessed devices show a clear and
> obvious legitimate use for all of those icky hacked decoders.

I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves.  I have seen a lot
of bills being introduced ("Fighting for the little guy!"; why does it have to
be fighting?  Does not logic and fact win the debate?), and while the title
might even survive, what comes out at the end bares little resemblance
to the original proposal (I believe it was John Godfrey Saxe who said
"Laws, like sausages, cease to inspire respect in proportion as we know
how they are made."  I have read some bills entire editorial history, and
it can be appalling as markups are made, and the bills are used for
entirely different purposes, or different agendas (or to attach bacon to).

Absolutely ask ones representatives to support the intent of the bill(*),
but do not expect that in the end, the sky will open up and the sun
will shine (with the appropriate chorus) with content without borders.
There is too much money at stake.

Gary

(*) It used to be the case that real letters garnered far more weight
than emails, although I understand that has changed, to some degree.
But send a real, snail mail, letter if you want to make an impact.