[mythtv-users] My port is missing ???

Joseph DeGraw coffee412 at comcast.net
Tue May 14 16:42:51 UTC 2013

I did post about this before but Iam posting this problem with some
better clarity.

It seems port 6544 does not show up on my combo FE/BE system running
mythbuntu 12.04 and mythtv .26. This is a new box I built that I have
been using now for about 3 weeks. Everything runs fine on it and Iam
quite happy. However, Im looking athooking up a basic FE computer to the
TV in the main bedroom. I also want to access it via my smartphone. Of
course, I cannot access the BE mythtv because I have no port 6544
showing up. Here are the ports I have open:

Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up (0.00023s latency).
Not shown: 988 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
53/tcp   open  domain
80/tcp   open  http
111/tcp  open  rpcbind
139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp  open  microsoft-ds
2049/tcp open  nfs
3306/tcp open  mysql
5100/tcp open  admd
5900/tcp open  vnc
6543/tcp open  mythtv
6547/tcp open  powerchuteplus

If I run 'netstat -antu' I see the port there:

tcp        0      0 10.0.1.12:6544 0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:6544 0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

Im not that experienced with netstat. But to me it seems the port is
there but something blocking it??? Im not running a firewall on the box
and basic networking (ssh, mythweb, RDP) runs just fine. Its just that
port 6544 does not show up.

Perhaps I have done something wrong? I dont know what. Perhaps someone
on the mailing list can take a second look and give me some pointers as
to what I should look for to solve this. I would really like to get my
smartphone working with mythtv.

Thanks in advance,

coffee