[mythtv-users] VA-API Gets New H.264/MPEG-2 Encoding API Support

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue May 14 16:49:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
> I can't believe that I'm excited about this... but I am.  My little Pentium
> G540 can't quite transcode fast enough for HLS... but if it were GPU
> accelerated?

In order to use the encoder the Intel GPU will have to support Quick
Sync, and your G540 does not support that.

In any event, MythTV will benefit after the FFMpeg codes are
updated to support this capability (and after the updates are
merged into MythTV).

I will also point out that the new Intel Media SDK for Linux
(currently only in limited beta to "real companies") is also
exposing the encoding capabilities of the newer Intel
GPUs.

The x264 folk are probably correct that they can do a better
job in software than any of the hardware solutions (nVidia,
AMD/ATI and Intel all have their own encoders), but as you
say, for lower quality HLS, dedicated hardware encoders
could be the answer for many.

Gary