[mythtv-users] Randomly crashing Mythtv combined backend and frontend

Stephen Tan stan at stanandliz.net
Sat May 18 17:43:10 UTC 2013

Hi list

I'm remotely administering a Mythtv system for some friends and we are
getting some very frustrating behaviour from the system.

Setup:
We have 2 systems. One which is the Master mythbackend and Frontend, and a
secondary backend box ( which also is a Frontend ). The main box has 2 x
dvb-s cards which get Freesat  and the backend box has 2 x dvb-t cards
which get Freeview.
The distribution being run is Debian 7.0 Wheezy.
We are running 0.26-fixes compiled from source.

Behaviour: Random crashes at any time of the day which kills the frontend
as well. We were not getting much meaningful logging information on the
problem, so I have re-compiled with --profile to get some debugging
information and we are now running debugging in order to try and get some
meaningful information about the cause of the crashes

So far, we haven't had a crash, but the logs are full of the following
types of errors:

2013-05-18 16:46:53.704140 I [14630/14821] DVBRead mpeg/pespacket.cpp:161
(VerifyCRC) - PESPacket: Failed CRC check 0xe3967750 != 0xd67980d0 for
StreamID = 0x82
2013-05-18 16:46:53.704150 E [14630/14821] DVBRead
mpeg/mpegstreamdata.cpp:948 (HandleTSTables) - PSIP packet failed CRC
check. pid(0xc0) type(0x82)

Does anyone recognise these symptoms? It would help a great deal if you
could share any fixes with us.

One thing worth noting is that the system is now running at a high CPU load
now with mythlogserver using a lot of CPU. Probably the Observer effect is
in action here.

thanks in advance

Stephen