[mythtv-users] Randomly crashing Mythtv combined backend and frontend

Matthias lists at thyroff.net
Sat May 18 17:53:48 UTC 2013

Am 18.05.2013 19:43, schrieb Stephen Tan:
> Hi list
>
> I'm remotely administering a Mythtv system for some friends and we are
> getting some very frustrating behaviour from the system.
>
> Setup:
> We have 2 systems. One which is the Master mythbackend and Frontend,
> and a secondary backend box ( which also is a Frontend ). The main box
> has 2 x dvb-s cards which get Freesat  and the backend box has 2 x
> dvb-t cards which get Freeview.
> The distribution being run is Debian 7.0 Wheezy.
> We are running 0.26-fixes compiled from source.
>
> Behaviour: Random crashes at any time of the day which kills the
> frontend as well. We were not getting much meaningful logging
> information on the problem, so I have re-compiled with --profile to
> get some debugging information and we are now running debugging in
> order to try and get some meaningful information about the cause of
> the crashes
>
> So far, we haven't had a crash, but the logs are full of the following
> types of errors:
>
> 2013-05-18 16:46:53.704140 I [14630/14821] DVBRead
> mpeg/pespacket.cpp:161 (VerifyCRC) - PESPacket: Failed CRC check
> 0xe3967750 != 0xd67980d0 for StreamID = 0x82
> 2013-05-18 16:46:53.704150 E [14630/14821] DVBRead
> mpeg/mpegstreamdata.cpp:948 (HandleTSTables) - PSIP packet failed CRC
> check. pid(0xc0) type(0x82)
>
> Does anyone recognise these symptoms? It would help a great deal if
> you could share any fixes with us.
>
> One thing worth noting is that the system is now running at a high CPU
> load now with mythlogserver using a lot of CPU. Probably the Observer
> effect is in action here.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Stephen

Hi Stephen,

sorry no help regarding the crashes. But regarding the high load from
mythlogserver, you might want to check the number of mythlogserver
processes - there should be only one, and there are reports from several
people that in certain conditions, several mythlogserver processes are
started, leading to 100% CPU load...

I have had this behaviour myself, and I have seen the frontend (local
and remote) getting unresponsive due to the backend load. So maybe this
is what you are observing.

Killall mythlogserver in my case did bring the system back, so I did not
have crashes in that sense.

I have not been able to fix the mythlogserver problem, but since moving
from back/frontend to just a headless backend + several frontends on
other machines, I did not have the problem again.

A healthy mythlogserver process should never cause much load, I would
think.

HTH, good luck,

Matthias