[mythtv-users] OT - aspect ratio and non-square pixel display

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 22 12:14:36 UTC 2013

On 05/22/2013 12:10 AM, Jeremy Jones wrote:

> On May 21, 2013 1:49 PM, "Roger Siddons" wrote:
>
> > I haven't really been following this thread but my mythbuntu machine
> does set the dpi in /etc/lightdm/mythbuntu-lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf
> > I don't know if that helps you...
> >
> It did help indeed! I thought I had checked that file but I did not
> see the line setting the doing to 96.  Taking that out allowed me to
> use the displaysize setting in xorg.conf and all works as it should.
>
> Thank you Roger!

I still don't get why distros love to hard code the value.  It makes the
size of fonts and on-screen elements completely arbitrary.  Rather than
actually showing a 12pt font as being 1/6" tall and such, as it's
supposed to be/as it is "in real life" (i.e. after printing), .  And,
since Xorg (and XFree86) don't hard code the value in a "vanilla"
install, it's definitely something being added by packagers for the
distro.  I'm guessing it's because they don't feel like properly
configuring all the applications to use visible font sizes, etc., so
they use it as a hack to "zoom", but it sure makes it difficult to set a
proper DPI.

Anyway, glad you got it working.

Mike