[mythtv-users] Prevent slave startup

Fred Watt fredwattmythtv at gmail.com
Wed May 22 16:49:44 UTC 2013

On 22/05/13 16:31, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 22/05/2013 8:43 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 5/21/2013 2:00 PM, Fred Watt wrote:
>>> Is there a way to prevent the slave from starting when I restart the
>>> master mythtvbackend? For various reasons I don't want the slave to
>>> keep
>>> on booting ever time I recycle the master - only want it to start on
>>> record or other scheduled events.
>>
>> You don't prevent the slave from starting when you restart your
>> master backend, because the slave is on a different machine. It
>> remains running throughout the restart of the master backend, and
>> automatically reconnects to the master when it is available again.
>>
>> I think there's a serious misunderstanding of the roles of various
>> applications here. Could you elaborate a bit on what you're trying to
>> accomplish?
>
> If a slave backend is asleep, and the MBE process is restarted (or the
> MBE machine is rebooted), the MBE will wake all SBE's on startup.  I
> dont believe that this can be prevented, as the MBE assumes the SBE's
> are unavailable until they connect.  if the SBE's are not required for
> recording, they will shut down fairly quickly.

Thank you.  That's what I thought the slave is always woken when the
master starts to ensure it in the correct 'state'.  The master expects
to see the slave 'sleep' then disconnect when told, the master then
flags the slave as asleep but available.  If the slave does not respond
to the server (wake/sleep/disconnect) then the master flags as offline
and will not wake slave to record.

The reason I wanted to do this is that my server 'naps' when not in use
- to reduce power consumption.  I have a server which does many duties
incl the mythbackend.  It is woken when either other PCs are switched on
(iscsi boot), mythtv wants to do something, or a batch job is scheduled.

For the first and and third use case I don't need the slave to go up and
down... hence the question.

It's been running well for years so just thought I'd ask in case I was
missing a trick - thank you all.