[mythtv-users] Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz LGA

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu May 23 22:26:21 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 5/23/2013 3:59 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>

>>         1. Intel GPU decoding will not even come close to NVidia in
>>         quality.  Fine for casual watching, but I wouldn't want it in
>>         my home theater.
>>

>>     Intel GPU decoding will not do anything.  Neither your G540, nor
>>     the OP's proposed G1610, have that feature enabled.
>>

>> My G540 is definitely using it's GPU to decode the video via VA-API.
>

> Your CPU does not support it.
>
> http://ark.intel.com/products/53416#CVTHD

Intel Clear Video is the encoding part (which *is* a no here).  Intel HD
Graphics is the decode part (which is included), although it is one of
the lower performance GPU parts.  Not that that mostly matters,
since the mpeg-2/h.264 decode is in hardware, and the GPU is
not used for de-interlacing with any shipping products (that is done
on the CPU today, and it looks like Haswell might include real
support in the "new and improved"(*) GPUs they will ship).

Gary

(*) It cannot be both new, and improved.  Pick at most one.