[mythtv-users] "Your frequency setting is out of range"

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sat May 25 08:46:23 UTC 2013

On 25.05.2013 07:58, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> I have just noticed something in my mythbackend.log.  Every time I
> start mythbackend, I get a log with warnings like "Your frequency
> setting (12546000) is out of range" for each of my DVB-S2 tuners:
> 2013-05-25 14:55:37.444147 W  DVBChan(36:/dev/dvb/adapter6/frontend0):
> Your frequency setting (12546000) is out of range.
> (min/max:950000/2150000)
>
> The frequency it is complaining about is out of range, but that is
> because it is the actual satellite channel frequency.  The DVB-S2
> cards do not tune to that frequency - they tune to the frequency after
> the LNB, which is the satellite channel frequency minus 10750000 Hz
> for my LNB.  So it looks like those warnings might be a bug - it seems
> that mythbackend is not looking up the LNB setup in the database and
> doing that processing on the frequency before warning about it.

exactly, these warnings are false positives if the frequency is way out
of range (comparing actual frequency with intermediate range). If the
frequency is close (comparing intermediate frequency with its allowed
range) then its not a false positive.

> Despite those warnings, mythbackend has no problems actually recording
> from my DVB-S2 cards.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem?  Is it likely to be causing me any
> trouble?

no, its a red herring, the only trouble that it will cause is lost time
when diagnosing an actual error because you have to go to false
positives.

Regards,
Karl