[mythtv-users] getting started

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Tue May 28 16:12:05 UTC 2013

Daryl McDonald wrote:
> Hello I'm new to this forum and I need help getting started. I have a
> desk top PC dedicated to my TV with a 1 terabyte HD, Ubuntu 12.04 OS
> with Myth TV front and back end downloaded from software center. I have
> two tuner cards, a K-world ATSC/QAM Hybrid PCI, and a  Hauppauge WinTV
> HVR-1250 NTSC ATSC QAM PCIe. Do I need to do any thing else before
> configuring the back end, like making a storage directory for recorded
> video? I've gone into the back end, but really don't know what I'm
> doing, evident by the lack of results. Can anyone tell me how to proceed
> from here?

When I started with MythTV a few years ago I found this link very useful

http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php

This guide is written very beginner friendly IMO.

I would recommend using an LTS version of Ubuntu with the Mythbuntu
repository installed or, if the PC is used only for MythTV, Mythbuntu.

HTH
Thomas