[mythtv-users] Restore recorded shows from backups?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 28 18:31:45 UTC 2013

On 05/25/2013 05:41 AM, Andrew Cranwell wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On 0.24, trying to reimport some accidentally expired

Are you sure they were expired?  Expired implies that the recording
files, themselves, are no longer on disk.  If the recordings are on
disk, but the recording doesn't appear in Watch Recordings, that would
imply the recording was deleted to the Deleted Recording Group.  If so,
go to Watch Recordings and hit MENU (once or twice, until you see the
right options) then Change Group Filter, then select Deleted and see if
you find the recordings.  If so, undelete them.

> recordings from backup - I have a mythconverg MySQL backup before they
> were expired and the MPG files themselves from a previous hardware
> iteration.
>
> Assuming that all I want to do is have the recordings in the "Watch
> recordings" list (don't care about re-recording),

Could just put them in Video Library and use the old backup to get the
title, episode title (subtitle), and original air date from the record
with the file name of the recording, then rename the recording as at

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing

and let it pull metadata and watch it from Video Library.  And, while
you're at it, you can do the same for the other episodes from those
series (so they're all in the same place) since Video Library is a
/much/ better place for storing large collections of videos and,
therefore, makes it much easier to organize videos and find what to watch.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519758#519758

FWIW, there's no supported way of putting things back into Watch
Recordings once they're gone (and deleted to Deleted Recording Group
isn't gone--just "hidden" from default view and easily undeleted once
you know how).

Mike