[mythtv-users] running mythfilldatabase without datadirect?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Nov 6 09:53:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 08:42:59 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>   I live in Norway and receive channel listings from a mixture of two xmltv sources which I have configured in a combined xmltv file.
>
> However, when I run mythfilldatabase, many minutes go by trying and failing to get the listings from datadirect before the xmltv file is parsed and the data is updated.
>
>The help and wiki pages are a little vague on the subject. Which parameters can I use to avoid datadirect?
>
>Cheers!
>
>Marius

What version of MythTV are you running?  I am running 0.27-fixes, so
my comments are based on that.  But mythfilldatabase has significantly
different parameters in older versions.

What parameters are you using with mythfilldatabase at present?  Are
you using a grabber script, or just running it with the xmltv files
directly?  Are you running mythfilldatabase yourself, or letting
mythbackend run it?

If you want to just run mythfilldatabase manually on an existing xmltv
file, then you can do that with the --file option and then use the
--xmlfile option to specify the file to load.  You may need to specify
the sourceid also using the --sourceid option.  And if you do not want
to have it attempt to add new channels or look up channel icons (which
can take some time), then also add the --only-update-guide option.

If you are running mythfilldatabase yourself, and especially if you
are automating it from a cron job, then you probably want to add the
logging options --loglevel and --logpath so that you can see what it
is doing.  When it is run from mythbackend, I believe those options
are inherited from mythbackend automatically.

If you are using it with a grabber script, then you need to check the
documentation for that grabber.