[mythtv-users] OT:Protection of htpc from power surge through incoming cable

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 15:17:15 UTC 2013

On 11/6/13 8:57 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>> Example of getting it wrong. User has a problem with surges in the phone line
>>> damaging the modem. So they get a surge protector extension lead with phone
>>> sockets - and routes the phone line through it as well as plugging in the modem.
>>> The next surge is diverted into the earth wire of the socket strip, so the earth in
>>> the socket strip now has a spike on it. This feeds up the mains lead fo the modem
>> Wouldn't that be an example of a surge protector manufacturer doing it wrong?
> Only in not adequately managing users' expectations.
>
> If used correctly, such a lead will protect connected equipment (to an extent - nothing will give absolute protection). If you have an island of equipment, all connected to the surge protector strip, and with no connections that don't go through this one point of protection - then it will give some protection.
>
> But a significant impedance to earth is inherent in the relatively "loose" connection to an earth. Thus if you allow connections that don't go through this protection point then you have a problem.
>
> My personal opinion is that these surge protectors have "limited value" - they have some, just not as much as most people think. But, like gold plated and oxygen free cables, people want to buy them - you can hardly blame manufacturers for trying to meet a demand.
>
> As it happens, I have a couple of surge protected extensions at home. I didn't buy them, they failed PAT testing at work (inherent in how they work and the test voltages used) and were "thrown away" :) I don't use them for any surge protection, they are just handy extensions.

True enough, it depends on how much one wishes to spend in order to
protect their equipment.
That, in essence, depends on the value of said equipment and the
perception of the individual in their needs.

An example would be my aged father, who has little in sensitive
electronics beyond a cable box, dvd player and television. He has no
surge protectors at all.
Then, there is me. With a half dozen servers, high end surround sound
equipment, etc. I have grounding rods in place, surge protection at the
load center input and individual branch surge protection at the device
power strip level.
For him, it's makes little economic sense to spend a lot on surge
protection in order to protect the cable company's box, a $40 Blu Ray
player and CRT television that is over a decade old.
For me, it makes great economic sense to protect tends of thousands of
dollars in equipment.