[mythtv-users] Mythweb and duplicate channels

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 7 12:22:52 UTC 2013

On 11/07/2013 01:58 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 11/07/2013 07:47 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> To tell the guide to display one row for 2 channels with identical
>> content, assign the same callsign *and* the same channel number to both
>> channels.  Again, optional (but this is what you're asking for so it
>> seems you've opted for it--and just need to configure it).
> Thanks Mike and Nick.
>
> I didn't know I could do this. Currently the channel numbers are set the
> same as the freqid which results them in being different between the two
> video sources.
>
> I've done as you suggest, and I'll keep an eye on correct channel
> changing for the next few recordings.

There won't be any problems.  The frequency ID is used to tune the
channel, and the channel number is only used for display purposes and as
a way to jump to a specific channel in Live TV.  The only effect is that
you won't be able to tell MythTV which of the 2 channels to tune during
Live TV, except by switching to an input connected to the source of the
one you want, then typing its channel number.  In other words, at this
point, you've told MythTV the channels are 100% equivalent (in both
recordings (call sign) and Live TV (channel number)).

Or, put another way, the channel number is a user-editable field that
can be set to anything the user likes without affecting MythTV's
functionality.

Enjoy.  :)

Mike