[mythtv-users] overriding DPI only for myth

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 7 14:08:16 UTC 2013

On 11/07/2013 08:45 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was having problems with mythfrontend 0.26 (on Fedora 19) when
> displayed the frontend in a window (i.e. on my desktop, not full-screen)
> where when playing an SD recording in a window that is widescreen sized
> (854x480) the "pillar"s on the sides of the 4:3 recording were really
> wide and the recording was horizontally compressed.  I was also seeing
> horizontally compressed fonts in the menus.
>
> So, to rectify, I set the DPI of my X server to 100 x 100.  Witht that
> DPI setting everything looks normal again.
>
> But ultimately, I don't want to lie to everything else on my desktop
> about what the real DPI of the monitor is.  Ultimately I want X to
> calculate it as it was before I overrode it to 100 x 100.
>
> So the question is, can I remove the 100 x 100 override from my
> xorg.conf and somehow force only mythfrontend to using a 100 x 100 DPI?
>
> I'm using an NVidia card (8400 GS) with VDPAU in case that's relevant.

There's no need to lie about your DPI for MythTV--as a matter of fact,
it's one of the few applications on your system where DPI makes
absolutely no difference.  You need only specify a proper aspect ratio
for your display to ensure MythTV displays things properly.

Based on your description, above, it sounds like that means you just
need to specify any DPI value (including, for example, the proper one
for your display) that's the same for both X and Y axes--i.e. 100x100 or
80x80 or 60x60 or 23945x23945 or ...

Alternatively, specify a proper display size and don't specify DPI.
This allows you to directly measure your display and enter the value you
measure, versus using it to calculate a proper DPI.

Oh, and don't fool yourself into thinking that the information returned
by the display is actually more correct than any measured value.  Many
(most?) displays lie to the system, causing DPI to be wrong when derived
from EDID-like information.

See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Display_Size

Mike