[mythtv-users] firmware for the HVR-1800 (vrs. the 2250)

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Thu Nov 7 14:33:48 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-06, at 3:44 PM, Leif Pihl wrote:

> sudo apt-get install firmware-ivtv
> E: Unable to locate package firmware-ivtv
>
> Note that this is a MythBuntu installation, thus...
>    PERHAPS the full suite of Ubuntu file may not be available?
>
> Otherwise, do I have a typo in the above?

I doubt the mythbuntu folks would prevent you from accessing something so useful. I took a look at my system and it seems the firmware is part of the non-free suite. I bet you don’t have that enabled for your system. List your package sources with this command:

	cat /etc/apt/sources.list

and look for lines that start with “deb”. My system has this:

	deb http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/ wheezy main non-free contrib

the host name is not important and neither is the release (“wheezy" for me). The part starting with “main” is what you want to look at. I suspect you’re missing “non-free” and “contrib” so add those using a text editor (sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list) then do an “sudo apt-get update” and then retry the install. Reboot for the driver to find and load the firmware and see what you get in /var/log/messages.

About your overall goals: what Eric mentioned about cable card tuners is worth looking into. With such a device, and an access card you rent from your cable company, you can have the original, high quality cable video stream. The drawback is which channels are allowed to be recordable, could be all, could be none, could be in between. Cable operators vary, some are easygoing while others are pricks, and I’m not sure where comcast fits.

- George