[mythtv-users] New install of 0.27, take some data from my old DB

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 12 12:47:51 UTC 2013

On 09/25/2013 12:51 PM, Tom Harris wrote:
> Like everyone else, I'm thinking about upgrading to 0.27.   My DB has
> been around for a long time, and I've had some oddities in channel
> data not updating, etc.  So, I want to do a new install rather than an
> upgrade.

When it comes to channels and listings data, there is /absolutely/ no
difference between a brand-new, empty database and a X-year old database
upon which you've run mythtv-setup's "Delete all video sources".  (And,
if you feel "there might be a problem with my Capture Cards or Input
Connections", you can clear that out (as if you were starting a brand
new database) with "Delete all capture cards" (not "Delete all capture
cards on <hostname>").

> But, I would like to keep the record of which programs I've already
> watched.  And possibly my recording schedule (although, that's not too
> hard to rebuild manually).
>
> I'm sure many have done this before me, and I've found lots of docs on
> DB upgrades.   Does anyone have a good pointer to docs on partial DB
> upgrades?  I mainly want to make sure I'm not corrupting my new
> pristine install by manually changing the DB.

Don't do it.  It's a terrible waste of your time--all it does it make
you have to reconfigure *everything* (which  typically--because it's
been years since you last did it--means figuring out how to reconfigure
everything and a lot of trial and error to get things configured properly).

If you still like the idea of wasting many hours (days) of your life
with absolutely no benefit at the end of the process, see:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
.  Any other approach you use will almost definitely corrupt your
database (either your schema or your data).

Mike