[mythtv-users] HD PVR and STB questions

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Nov 13 14:37:37 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 5:48 AM, Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am investigating how to link up my STB with HD PVR. The STB has
> usual L/R audio output and Coaxial SPDIF output. HD-PVR on the other
> hand has optical SPDIF input.

The HD-PVR also has analog audio input.  You won't preserve full 5.1+
audio channels that way, but you'll get stereo + pro-logic surround.

> 1. Is there a way to connect coaxial SPDIF to optical SPDIF?

There are converters available.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2

(For the record, that's not product endorsement, it's just the first
one that popped up on a google search.)

> 2. How do i connect STB L/R audio output to HD PVR?

This is straight forward.  The HDPVR ships with all the cabling
required to do this.  Just connect the STB L/R analog output into the
HDPVR L/R analog input.

> 3. I have a separate MCE ir blaster, can i use that instead of using
> HD PVR ir blaster capability?

Yes.

> 4. Is kernel 3.10.7 (gentoo stable) good choice for HD-PVR?

As far as I know, yes.  That should work fine.

Eric