[mythtv-users] OFF TOPIC: Text Editor(s) ?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Nov 15 18:27:07 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Stefan Jones" <stefan_jones at comcast.net>

> I will second the notion of learning the BASICS of vi or vim.
>
> Just enough to open a text file, move around, and do a basic edit on a
> line.

And those basics are *so* basic:

cursor keys to navigate

i to go into insert mode and type text; ESC to leave it
x to delete one character
dd to delete the current line
ZZ to save and quote
:q! to dump unsaved changes and quit

And that's literally *it*; that's all you need to start.

Assuming showmode is set by default, and it should be in any recent
version of vim, there's little way to be confused whether you're in
insert mode or not, which seems to be people's major gripe.

And there is a Windows port called gvim, which does an altogether
*excellent* job of merging the reflexes of *nix vi users and Windows
Notepad users; the only thing I can't find an easy way to do is set the
default font/size it starts in.

It's like wood shop: you can cut wood a lot faster with a bandsaw than
with a handsaw, but you have to learn how to use it first.  And vim won't
even cut off your hand.  :-)

PS: Congrats to the OP, this was an *excellent* troll.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra