[mythtv-users] Toggling Decoders: vaapi and ffmpeg

J. Breitner jtbreitner.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 15:26:14 UTC 2013

Running latest 0.26-fixes via Git with hdhomerun tuners and I have run
into an issue I can't quite resolve.  When I start the frontend and tune
to any channel, it will always use vaapi.  A subsequent tune either
direct or via the guide will likely result in using ffmpeg (channel
video size seems not to matter).  Exiting and returning, it will use vaapi.

If I tune from a channel that is currently being decoded with ffmpeg, it
will sometimes use vaapi.  Again, channel does not matter and even
tuning back to the current channel will get it to use vaapi.

The issue here is that with ffmpeg as the decoder, the video is choppy
until there is sufficient buffering.  With vaapi, there is absolutely no
chop to the video.

My current profile is using vaapi-normal, but I have set custom profiles
for ever imaginable video size and it still seems to end up using ffmpeg.

Any hint as to what is happening here would be appreciated.

Thanks.