[mythtv-users] State of blu-ray support?

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 14:02:34 UTC 2013

On 11/19/13 8:37 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2013, at 8:53, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

>>> Unless you're going off the premise that all DRM schemes will forever be
>>> ineffective, because they are based off an inherently insecure premise,
>>> the laws you speak of were around long before the software to circumvent
>>> CSS was available. They were pre-emptive.
>>    Long before? Hardly. The DMCA was passed a year before CSS was cracked.
>> Even if the suits and the lobbyists didn't know how weak an vulnerable it
>> was, certainly industry professionals did.
>>
>>    "Long before" implies something more like 5 years or even 20.
>>
>>     Now what does qualify as "long before" are all of the other failed
>> attempts at copy protection over the years. The same goes for companies
>> and industries that should have been wiped out by piracy.
> It's not like a bill just magically materializes out of nowhere the moment it is ratified.  It was in the works for two years before it was passed, and just a year after DVD was first available and CSS was a thing to be cracked.

There are times that I'm amazed how few of my fellow citizens understand
the process of how laws are made in the US.
Or how long bills can sit in committee, being tinkered with until all
parties are satisfied (not to mention for some advantage), then to go to
each house of Congress, possibly to be sent back to committee, possibly
getting passed and sent back to committee for adjustment to match the
both versions of bill from each house into a unified one.
Then, the president gets to sign it or veto it.
With full attention throughout the process by lobbyists...