[mythtv-users] Who's running Myth on Arch, and what do you think?

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Fri Nov 22 16:49:19 UTC 2013

On 21/11/13 20:33, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> I've been looking for an RPM based distro that packages myth, so that
> I can dump OpenSUSE, which has acquired a bad case of Drug-Resistant
> Poettering Disease, and I see that Arch Linux fits both criteria.
>
> Anyone here using that build?  Did they do the job correctly?  Which
> WM do you use?
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

Jay,

I switch with my home server to Arch few years ago.
Before I was on KnoppMyth, LinHES and Debian.
Switch to Arch was best decision I took regarding my home server.

Pros (my perception):
-KISS (keep it simple) concept. Once You discover how they do things -
You'll love it. Then by comparison, You will see how simple things can
be complicated (Ubuntu wins here IMHO).
-best on earth package managing system.
-EVERYTHING is under Your control. You have OS having EXACTLY what You
want and absolutely not more. No any bloat included by OS packagers to
keep happy everybody but not needed by You.
-ABS makes building Your packages simplest ever. Try and You will see
beauty (simplicity) of it.

Cons:
-rolling-release. Many ppl see this as advantage. It is mater of taste -
or, if You prefer, mater of Your preferences. If You prefer stability
over freshness(*) then simply take strategy to not use this advantage.
If You want quickly and regularly benefit from constantly increasing
quality of GNU&Linux then rolling-release becomes another advantage of Arch.
-setup: You have to build Your system Yourself (I mean installing all
desired packages). Pacman does great job with dependencies management so
this is in fact quite easy. Plus is v.good learning aspect. Arch wiki is
best I ever seen so this learning is pleasure - not pain.

I would say: Arch for me is sum of best aspects of Gentoo and Debian
without negative aspects of both.

(*) saying freshness I mean:
-negative things like potential troubles with configurations when new
package isn't prepared correctly and breaks backward compatibility. It
is also valid for system/apps stability.
-positive things like constantly increasing GNU/Linux quality(**)

(**)this is my experience over last 3y. Every Arch update (I do it every
6-9 months) fixes more issues than introduces new ones.

br