[mythtv-users] Special needs dad with MythTV hardware questions

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Nov 25 07:13:28 UTC 2013

> I can speak to the concern of splitting the antenna signal, what I
> have is an amplified splitter, one in and two out with 24 Db increase,
> from there you could easily split each output,with a normal splitter,
> giving four reliable signals.

Unless you placing a "amplified splitter" (technically called a
distribution amp) in the attic by the antenna, they really are not the
best solution.  The goal with any amplification is to amplify the best
signal you can so your not amplifying noise, or trying to add power to
an already weak and degraded signal; this usually means you want your
amp right at the antenna.

There are a variety of mast mount antennas available, and they are
often cheaper than a distribution amp.  These antennas are usually