[mythtv-users] Systemd and insanity

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 17:36:34 UTC 2013

On 11/25/13 12:07 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]
Well, before I became an SA, *I* did. But, then, I'm a bit... Different.
I enjoy getting into the "nuts and bolts" of nearly everything, from a
household appliance, my car to various operating systems.  :)
> End users, I mean.  Surely the release configuation managers on the distros
> have to understand it at least a little, as do developers of packages that
> need to be started at boot.  I was hoping it was obvious that I considered
> those couple dozen people still to be a pretty small universe vs the number
> of installed Linux systems out there.
Of course, then I recall reiserfs and its inventor. With the fs nearly
being abandoned over one domestic murder case...
>> One person ported systemd to each Linux distro that is using it, with
>> no other developer knowing how that was done?
> It's not completely impossible that that's the case, no; one or two people.
True enough. See the reiserfs bit, though there were more than one or
two people developing it when the "controversy" began. I never *did*
figure out what the brouhaha was about, one man commits a crime, an
entire technology (FS) is tainted?!

>> Sorry, rather sounds like the old argument about sendmail.cf.
>> Remember, there were three people who fully comprehended sendmail.cf.
>> One was dead, two were insane...
> And had been driven that way by having to read sendmail.cf.
Same here. Excuse me as a hop around the room, making monkey hoots for a
bit...  ;)