[mythtv-users] Systemd and insanity

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Nov 25 18:24:01 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Stephen P. Villano" <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com>

> >> So, only one person in the whole wide world knows how to implement
> >> or even how systemd works?

> > Well, I didn't quite say that. But, really, what percentage of people who
> > use Linux and who are *not* profssional system administrators take the time
> > to understand the fiddling details of how the boot sequence actually
> > works?

> Well, before I became an SA, *I* did. But, then, I'm a bit...
> Different.

Indeed.  And that's not all that uncommon in Linux.  But while it may account
for as much as 20-30% of all *sites*, it's probably comfortably under 5% of all
*installs* (people who are not paid SAs, who still dive that deep, I mean).

> I enjoy getting into the "nuts and bolts" of nearly everything, from a
> household appliance, my car to various operating systems. :)

Can we get "I Void Warrantees" on a t-shirt?

> Of course, then I recall reiserfs and its inventor. With the fs nearly
> being abandoned over one domestic murder case...

> True enough. See the reiserfs bit, though there were more than one or
> two people developing it when the "controversy" began. I never *did*
> figure out what the brouhaha was about, one man commits a crime, an
> entire technology (FS) is tainted?!

Quite so.  It was the default for a couple 10.x SUSE releases, IIRC,
which caused some excitement.  And the issue was bus factor; not enough
people understood it.  JFS has the same problem, I gather, and XFS is
uncomfortably close.

I used to be able to use fsdb myself on, say, ext2 and older FSen.  Not
today...

> >> Sorry, rather sounds like the old argument about sendmail.cf.
> >> Remember, there were three people who fully comprehended
> >> sendmail.cf.
> >> One was dead, two were insane...
> > And had been driven that way by having to read sendmail.cf.
> Same here. Excuse me as a hop around the room, making monkey hoots for
> a bit... ;)

Be glad you didn't have to edit sendmail.cf in TECO.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

--
Make Election Day a federal holiday: http://wh.gov/lBm94  100k sigs by 12/14