[mythtv-users] horizontal split

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 26 13:59:12 UTC 2013

On 11/23/2013 12:45 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>> Back to the original question... I'm using a MSI Radeon HD 5450 and
>> getting some tearing when the camera pans.
> That's a pretty low end card.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ati_radeonhd_5450&num=7
>
>> would upgrading to the card mentioned above reduce that tearing at all?
> Yes, I believe so.

Tearing is a function of improperly-timed refreshes.  It is avoided by
properly configuring your video drivers.

Upgrading to a different video card may fix it, but only if a) the video
card uses different drivers, which are properly configured on your
system or b) you get a VDPAU-compatible card from nvidia and let the
card do decoding and display (which just works, no configuration required).

And, while I wouldn't recommend an AMD/ATI video card for MythTV (nvidia
cards with nvidia proprietary drivers are the right tool for the job,
IMHO--and my mythfrontend boxes are the only ones in my house with
nvidia cards, specifically chosen for the job at hand), you could just
configure your video drivers properly to eliminate tearing.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/451677#451677
(and more background/reasoning at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/452586#452586 )

Mike