[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: RF blaster

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Oct 1 00:00:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> I was actually thinking about
> networks (such as share living complexes) where
> everyone shares the same network/access.  If you are
> not a single child, did you not play pranks on your sibling?

Of course not!  I was a paragon of virtue, angelic in every way.  At
least, that's how I remember it.

In any case, grabbing the remote and pushing buttons while hiding
behind the couch seems like a much more likely sibling attack vector.

> In IPv6, *everything* has a public IP address (at least
> if you are doing it right).  There are certainly proponents
> of the position that network blocking should be removed,
> and the end node (which knows what it needs) configures
> its own security protections.

Sounds like 1995.

> I certainly hope they use authentication
> rather than allow anyone to set your DVR to record every
> SpongeBob Squarepants episode ever broadcast).

My kids have already taken care of that part...

> Today many STBs have DOCSIS modems in addition
> to their QAM decoders.  The current next step is CCAP,
> but the end game is pure IP based service delivery.  And
> your STB will have most of its smarts in the cloud.

The end game certainly is pure IP based delivery, but I suspect it
won't be be through a cable company provided/controlled STB.  The
dominant video providers will just stream video to subscribers the way
Netflix/Hulu/YouTube do today.  Established cable channels will join
this method.  (E.g. A&E's video on demand app for Android and other
platforms.)

Eric