[mythtv-users] Can mythtv (or mplayer/xine through mythtv) upmix 5.1 sound in 6.1 or 7.1?

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Tue Oct 1 20:10:25 UTC 2013

I have a 6.1 setup at home where the side speakers are slightly in front
of me (on the side), and only speaker #6 is actually behind me.

If my input is DTS 7.1 (I have a very small sample on a test DVD), then my rear
speaker works and gives me "behind me" sounds. But most sources I have are 5.1
and I just never got sound behind me on the 6th speaker.
Turns out, my $1500 (at the time) Denon 3808 receiver cannot upmix 5.1
into 6.1 or 7.1.

Can mythtv or mplayer piped into mythtv do this in software?
Or maybe even some fancy alsa setup?

Looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_(sound_system)#DTS_Neo:6
"DTS Neo:6, like Dolby's Pro Logic IIx system, can take stereo content and
convert the sound into 5.1 or 6.1 channel format, but in a 7.1
configuration, the two rear-center speakers play in mono.

DTS Neo:X can take stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 source material and output up to
11.1 channels including front height and width channels. Unlike Dolby's Pro
Logic IIz's system, which only adds front height channels to the 7.1
configuration"

Unfortunately my receiver does Neo:6, but not Neo:X, and I don't really want to
throw it away yet, so I'm hoping I can use a software upmix solution.

Is there one?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....