[mythtv-users] UK Freeview EIT EPG oddities

Rick Lane zinglefiffy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 15:05:56 UTC 2013

Hello folks,

My myth box uses the over-the-air epg from UK Freeview, and recently
I've noticed a couple of things in the EPG are leading to mistakes by
the scheduler and metadata downloader.

Namely, the way new airings of shows are occasionally being titled,
for example, 'New: Octonauts' instead of simply 'Octonauts'. My
already-existing rules to record 'Octonauts' are missing these new
episodes, and I've had to search the listings and create new rules to
catch them.

Also, occasionally the title of a film is being split between the
title and subtitle of the EPG. The most recent example I can remember
is 'The X Files' film, which on the EPG was titled 'The X' with
'Files' in the subtitle field.

The first issue is confusing the scheduler (and later on, the Watch
Recordings screen) because it thinks New: Octonauts isn't part of the
Octonauts series, and both oddities are confusing the metadata system
because it can't match titles closely enough.

This obviously isn't a 'bug', but an unclean data source. Is there an
acknowledged 'mythtv' way of straightening the EPG out before the
scheduler runs on it, or tricks I haven't found on my trawls through
the wiki?

Ta,
Rick